The Sinner's Prayer, also known as the Consecration Prayer and Salvation Prayer, is a term used referring to a prayer of repentance. When the individual understands that they are a sinner and in need of a Savior, they can pray to God the sinner's prayer. Most often they may be guided by another believer in how to complete the sinner's prayer. In order to do the sinner's prayer effectively, I believe there are three elements we cannot overlook.
click here for the audio content or continue reading below.
The individual must confess that they are sinners. The individual must also confess that Jesus is Lord and that he has been risen from the dead as the scripture says so.
* 1 John 1:9 (CSB) “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
* Romans 10:9 (CSB) “If you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.”
The individual must ask for forgiveness after confessing their own sins. Acknowledging that the blood of Jesus is the only remission for their sins.
* Psalm 32:5 (CSB) “Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not conceal my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,” and you forgave the guilt of my sin.
* Ephesians 1:7 (CSB) “In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace...”
The individual must ask Christ to enter into their heart. The individual must relinquish all control of their life as they previously viewed it and allow God to be their Lord. The individual must ask to be made a new creation and part of the body of Christ. They must welcome the Spirit of God into their life, embracing God as their Father and acknowledging they are His child.
* Proverbs 4:23 (CSB) Guard your heart above all else, for it is the source of life.
* 2 Corinthians 5:17 (CSB) “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has passed away, and see, the new has come!”
I understand that I am a sinner. I understand that I am in need of you and your love. I understand that you sent Jesus to die for me, because of my sins. I ask that you may forgive me for my sins. I ask that you enter into my heart and make me a new creation. That your Spirit would reside in me. I ask that you write my name in the book of life. I accept you as my Lord, take control of my life. I accept you as my Father, receive me as your child.
"all the scripture referenced were in the CSB (Christian Slandered Bible) translation. Personally I love this translation and it easy to read layout. CSB has provided The Bible as it was meant to be read, understood and shared." - Miguel Lebron
*this is not an affiliate link.
Please, shop local. Visit an Alpha and Omega Parable Christian Book Store today or use this link to shop online. https://parable.com/shop/christian_standard_bibles